Nancy Wilson - Town Clerk
- Legislative Dept., Office of the Town Clerk
507 Ocean Avenue, Melbourne Beach, FL 32951
Hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Monday through Friday
- Phone: (321) 724-5860 Fax: (321) 984-8994
The Town Clerk is a Charter Officer of the Town of Melbourne Beach and reports to the Town Manager. The Town Clerk administers the recording of actions and maintains official records of the Town and the Town Commission. The Town Clerk administers Town elections and also provides support services to the Mayor and Town Commission and various boards and committees.
NOTICE per Chapter 119, Florida Statutes – The Office of the Town Clerk is the Town of Melbourne Beach’s custodian of public records, where official records of the Town of Melbourne Beach are routinely created, sent, received and maintained. The location of and record request contact information for the Town Clerk’s Office is 507 Ocean Avenue, Melbourne Beach, FL 32951; 321-724-5860; email to email@example.com; fax 321-. For Police Department Records, contact Sheri Gatto, Melbourne Beach Police, 507 Ocean Avenue, Melbourne Beach FL 32951; 321-723-4343; email to firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax to 321-725-3253.
Bids and Requests for Proposals
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I apply to be on a Town Board?
We continuously accept applications for various board vacancies. These positions are volunteer; yet, do require a commitment to attend at least one meeting per month. You can download an application here and submit it to the Town Clerk’s office.
Click here for the Online Volunteer Application Form
You can register to vote with the Brevard County Supervisor of Elections office. Visit www.brevardelections.org for more information.
Q. Where can I find copies of old Ordinances, Resolutions and Minutes?
You can find various documents, including Ordinances, Resolutions, Minutes and Newsletters here, in The Archives.
Q. What documents are considered public record?
According to Florida Statutes, Chapter 119, all documents created or maintained by the Town that pertain to Town business are public record, with some exemptions.
Click here to download the Public Records Request Form
Q. What is the standard “turn-around” time for a records request?
There is no technical standard turn-around time for a request. However, once the request is received you will get a receipt notification stating that your request is being processed. A request is frequently handled with the day it was received. Yet, be aware that large requests can and may take up to 1 week for completion, depending on the work involved. Chapter 119 of the Florida Statutes states that a request will be completed in “good faith”.
Q. When is the next Town Commission meeting?
Please check our Meetings Calendar for the next Commission meeting. Meetings are typically held the 3rd Wednesday of every month.
Q. When can I address the Town Commission?
As a resident, you are permitted to contact any member of the Commission within reason. You may only contact 2 or more Commissioners, at the same time, regarding a specific issue at a public meeting. Each Commission meeting has a block of time set aside for citizens to address the commission as a whole on an issue of concern. Each resident has a maximum of three (3) minutes to present his or her case, concern or issue.
Q. What is the “Sunshine Law”?
The “Sunshine Law”, is legislation that requires all meetings of public bodies be open to the public (a.k.a The Public Meeting Law).
- Serves as official scribe for the Town Commission; prepares meeting agendas, records and minutes. Preserves official meeting minutes and other official documents. Provides support to the Town Commission, including correspondence, mail, telephone calls, emails, etc.
- Serves as Records Custodian of all Town records; compiles all ordinances for codification in the Town Code of Ordinances.
- Compiles all ordinances for codification in the Town Code of Ordinances.
- Supervises preparation of advertisements for all public hearings and the publication of all legal notices.
- Attests all ordinances, resolutions, contracts and deeds. Administers public employee’s oath to all employees.
- Maintains municipal deeds’ leases, agreements and other records as required.
- Prepares correspondence, proclamations and resolutions.
- Maintains custody of official seal and affixes seal on official documents.
- Provides for response to public records and informational requests received from the public, staff or other agencies and interested parties as provided by the State Statutes.
- Provides notary public services.
- Serves as election official to the Town. Certifies all candidates for the general municipal elections, maintains receipts and validity of all election petitions and certifies to the State of Florida, Division of Elections the results of all municipal elections.
- Serves as Financial Disclosure Coordinator for the Town.
- Assists in preparation of the annual budget for the Town Commission and the Town Clerk’s Department for review by the Town Manager. Monitors expenditures for compliance with approved the budget. Advertises the Town budget and certifies to the State Department of Revenue the fiscal year millage and budget.
- Responsible for processing applications, preparing agenda packets and producing minutes for Town boards, ie Town Commission.
- Maintains record of all board and committee appointments. Ensures an individual’s eligibility to hold appointed office.
- Collects Business Taxes and issues Business Tax Receipts. Accepts applications and issues Itinerant Peddler Licenses; has the authority to revoke such licenses after a hearing. Accepts and enacts (by setting a date for hearing before the Town Commission) appeals of permit or denial or revocation.
- Receives and certifies sealed bids in competitive bidding process. Receives the notices of protest and/or appeal.
- Acts as “Appeals Officer” in competitive bidding situations and Code Enforcement Appeals.
- Serves as editor to the Town Newsletter.
- Coordinates postings to the Town’s website. Ensures that all applicable recordings of the Town’s meetings are available on the website in accordance with Town policy.
- Keeper of the official Town Boundaries Map.